.

11.25.2010

For the Elephants

Happy Thanksgiving! I can not believe that it's already November 25 - the semester has flown by... only one month until Christmas!

It's nice to be home with time to relax. Usually, when I come home, I'm rushing to do all kinds of things before sunday afternoon rolls around, and I make my treck back to Norman. I'd much rather spend the hours that I'm in Tulsa laying in the living room with all 5 members of my family, laughing about random things...

Last night I was laying on the floor with the christmas tree next to me... It was lit up and beautiful with all kinds of white, red and gold ornaments and snow flakes and berries and buttons; For the past couple years, Barb has been in charge of decorating the tree - and if you were here, you'd be able to tell :) But, I was laying there laughing about something, when it struck me that most of the United States never gets to do this.

There are families with broken relationships - there are living rooms with elephants occupying too much space.

Some of us have dads that left when we were young, and moms that sit with Jesus today... Some of us were beaten and abused, some of us maybe still are. Some of us are dealing with self issues, and wonder if we will make it through the holiday, some of us have sisters and brothers across the world fighting for our freedom, and some of us have never known what it is to have a "thanksgiving meal".

The holidays aren't bliss for everyone. For some of us, it's hard to get through. The holidays bring back painful memories, and a sense of lonliness. We wonder what could be different if we had our mom or our dad back. We are angry at the family member who crossed the line of appropriateness when we were young and robbed us of our innocence, some of us have never had enough money to taste the famous pumpkin pie...

This is for the elephants in the room.

Today isn't the easiest day of the year for a lot of us... I hope the intensity in your living rooms are replaced by peace today. I hope that laughter and joy fill your homes. I hope there is something for you to PTL about.

Terrible things happen in this world, and most we will never know why; but rest assured that the Lord knows exactly what we need when we need it - and He takes care of us. Even though you are in immense pain, Jesus has not forgotten.

Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord their God. Psalm 146:4

Rejoice always, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances. For this is God's will for you. 1 Thess 5:16-19

Happy Thanksgiving - I hope that is exactly what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment